What to Include in Your Shopify Store Product Descriptions
Your Shopify store product descriptions are one of the only things that stand between you and a sale. And with just a paragraph or two, your product description is also where it’s at when it comes to search engine optimization.
If you want to rank on Google and other search engines, your SEO game must be strong (and your online store needs to be built on Shopify). It doesn’t matter how much traffic you get if your organic conversions are low. And in order to increase organic conversions, you need strategic product descriptions that sell.
What is a Product Description?
A product description is a piece of copy that tells a buyer what your product is and why they should purchase it. Furthermore, it helps convince prospective customers to purchase your products even if they had no intention of doing so.
Product descriptions can be written in a variety of ways, depending on the writer and/or the product being discussed in the description. They can be straightforward and easy to scan, or they can be extensive and entertaining. You have the option of communicating to customers in a humorous or serious tone, depending on your brand voice.
What You Need To Include in Your Shopify Store Product Descriptions
- Make sure that the product title is specific.
This is the most important part of your product description, and it needs to be clear and concise. The best way to do this is to use the right keywords when writing your titles. You want people searching for products like yours on Google (or Amazon) to find you when they look for those terms.
The following should help you make sure that happens:
- Use keywords in their natural order—the order that people would search for them if they were looking for a specific item online; don’t just slap them all together randomly because you think it looks good.
- Make sure every word in your title has meaning; don't just throw random filler words in there because they sound good or are easy to read quickly without understanding what they say about the product itself (e.g., “bestseller”).
- Use hyphens between compound adjectives like “blue tie-dye t-shirt."
- Include some personality.
Here's a pro tip: Include some personality. Your store is an extension of your brand and it should reflect your unique voice. This is your chance to get a bit creative and give your brand a voice (personality and tone). Picture yourself at a gathering, talking to a new friend about the product. How would you explain it to let them realize how amazing it is?
Every facet of your online marketing, including social media, SEO, and sponsored search, is injected with this brand voice. Unique, interesting copy makes your products more relevant to search engines and other marketing mediums that value fresh material.
Example: Wild Friends Foods
In this example, Wild Friends describe their almond butter in detail that one can almost imagine they are holding it! How did you feel when you read it? Doesn’t it sound conversational? Casual? Like you’re talking to a friend?
Your company's products should be described in detail, but in a way that sounds and feels like it was written by real humans (because they were). Make it natural and engaging, something that you yourself would not be bored to read.
Other suggestions for voice and tone are as follows:
- Nostalgia is a strong emotion. Investigate how you might include happy memories in your descriptions.
- Similarly, if it matches your brand, humor could help reduce the stress of shopping. Creating a favorable and long-lasting impression on your potential customers will be much easier if you make them smile.
Remember that you're describing something you created, so make sure each description reflects the personality of both you and your brand. This will help customers trust what they're reading, which can lead to more sales.
- Get descriptive with your product descriptions.
When you’re starting out in business, one of your biggest challenges is getting customers to trust you. As a new store owner, you have to convince people that you have something valuable to offer. That’s why descriptive product descriptions are so important.
Descriptive product descriptions allow you to showcase your products in a way that makes them seem unique and valuable. You can also use them to highlight special features, benefits or other information about your products.
You don’t have to worry about writing long, boring paragraphs about your products — just keep it simple and straightforward. Here are some tips for creating descriptive product descriptions:
- Use imagery that shows off how it works or looks (e.g., images of people using something)
- Include customer reviews from people who have bought from you before
- Write about why someone might want this particular item (e.g., for their business)
The best way to describe your product is by using language that shows exactly what customers will receive. For example, if you’re selling a new pair of shoes, you could use phrases like “soft leather” or “best-selling style.”
This kind of language is persuasive because it gives shoppers an idea of what they can expect when they buy from your store. It also helps them know whether or not they should buy from you instead of someone else.
You might also want to put into focus how your product is a solution. While your target audience is interested in the product itself, they are definitely more interested in the results they can obtain from using the product. They are keen on learning how purchasing your product may make them a better version of themselves.
In the product descriptions that you provide, you have the opportunity to bring this to their attention. And one simple way to do so is to present product features and necessary details as must-have bonuses.
- Use your Shopify store's blog to your advantage.
One of the best ways you can use your Shopify store's blog is to help readers understand the benefits of your product. The benefits are what makes people want to buy, so it's important that you explain them in detail.
Another way you can use your Shopify store's blog is to help readers understand the results they can expect when using your products. If someone buys one of your books and has a question about how to do something, then they will be able to find an answer on your blog because it will contain detailed instructions on how everything works.
The last way you can use your Shopify store's blog is by explaining why this particular product is worth buying instead of another similar product from another company or website. This information will also be helpful if anyone ever has questions about why certain things cost more than others or why some companies charge less for shipping than others do.
- Tell a story.
When you write, you want to tell a story. This is how you use words to make your customers feel connected with your business and products.
In the example above for "Immortality Tea", the reader is able to learn about the historical importance of this variety of tea along with its benefits because the product description was able to tell a story of how it was used in the past. This way, the reader is able to picture where the product originated from, its history, and how to appreciate it today.
It’s the kind of writing that helps you visualize a world where you drink this tea every day. It sort of makes you want to have this tea in your life, as well.
By creating a story for your product, you are far more likely to connect with the prospective buyers on an emotional level than on a transactional one. This is crucial to turning your prospective buyers into real buyers.
When writing product descriptions, don't just list features and benefits—create an experience for shoppers. Take them on a journey through the world of your product or service. Use imagery to paint vivid word pictures that help customers envision their lives with it in them. Connecting with customers on an emotional level will increase trust and sales conversions by up-selling products that fit into their specific lifestyle needs, rather than just selling whoever happens upon your page first!
- Use customer reviews.
Customer reviews are a great way to show your customers that you care, that you're trustworthy, and that you're credible.
Including customer testimonials in your product descriptions can help improve conversions by establishing trust. In fact, 99% of consumers are more likely to buy products from companies they know and trust! That’s why it’s important to include real customer quotes in your Shopify store product descriptions—not only should these quotes be authentic and relevant but they should also come from verified purchasers who have experienced the benefits of using your products firsthand.
To add even more credibility to your website content without lifting a finger or spending a dime on advertising costs (or hiring an SEO expert), try adding social proof by including these types of testimonials:
- Know that less is more.
A good product description should be short, sweet, and to the point. You want to appeal to your customer’s needs by being informative and relatable. Avoid using all caps, too many words, and adjectives or adverbs in your descriptions. Keep it simple!
Also, avoid metaphors when describing products if you can help it. Metaphors are tricky because they make us think of one thing when we mean another (or vice versa). So if you use a metaphor for something as complex as a product description, chances are that no one will understand what you meant by it -- which isn't good for business!
- Don't forget about technical information.
Technical information is also important to customers. While you may not be a technical expert, you should still know what your product is made of and how it's been manufactured. In addition to the basic information about the materials used in your products, it's also important that you provide instructions on how to use them correctly. This can help increase sales and reduce returns by making sure your customers are using the product properly.
A simple eCommerce product description template and how to use it
Those are some of the most basic tips and info you need to include in your product descriptions. Itching to write? To help you get started, here's a basic product description template. It's meant to be adaptable so you can adjust it as you please. Think of it more as a road map than a blueprint since you'll be able to tweak it as you go along.
- Descriptive headline: Use a product title that is specific and will pique your audience's interest. Plus points if you can connect with them emotionally. Keep in mind, though, that it must be short and sweet.
- Benefits-focused paragraph: Make use of a descriptive paragraph to illustrate the specific reasons why the buyer will benefit from purchasing the product.
- Key benefits list: After you've finished writing the description, provide a bulleted summary of the most important product characteristics and features. These are the most crucial points, and presenting them in this manner lets the reader concentrate on the information that really matters.
- Additional motivation: Provide customers with an incentive to buy by establishing your credibility, providing social proof in the form of consumer reviews, creating a sense of urgency, and/or issuing a call to action.
An effective product description uses a mix of enticing language and useful specifics to help readers make informed decisions about buying a product.
An effective product description uses a mix of enticing language and useful specifics to help readers make informed decisions about buying a product. Your customers want to know what they're getting for their money, so you need to be able to describe your products in detail.
The following are the elements of a well-written product description:
- Describe the features of the item. This includes any unique or special features that set this particular item apart from other similar items on offer in your store. For example, if you have an app that helps people increase their productivity at work by putting reminders on their calendar, you can include how it allows users to set reminders based on location or time (e.g., set a reminder when I am within 400 feet of my office).
- Describe any benefits associated with using this particular item (e.g., "With our app...you'll never forget an important meeting again").
- Describe ways consumers might use these products in their daily lives ("Our app is perfect for people who always find themselves running late," which could also be used as part of the title).
As we’ve seen, simply writing product descriptions that include the features and benefits of your products can be a surprisingly effective way to get people to buy from you. These types of product descriptions are easy for customers to read and understand, which makes it more likely that they’ll convert into paying customers. By writing great product descriptions for your Shopify store, you can help drive conversions and increase sales!
Connect with us
If you need to build your Shopify website, need a Shopify app, or require eCommerce solutions to be developed, you may call us at 713-805-5888, or email us at [email protected], or leave us a message here.
TALK TO US!
Speak with one of our experts
Let’s start improving your business today! Just answer a few questions and our team will provide you with an overall assessment, a pricing estimate, and a project timeline to start.
View our Award-Winning Portfolio
Webinopoly has worked with various brands from website development to app creation. View some of our best work and get inspired.