DIY on Shopify: Top 15 Things to Make Yourself and Sell For Profit
eCommerce is booming, with a record-breaking $4.8 trillion spent globally each year. While the internet has made it easier for anyone to start a business and sell products in their own store, it also makes it easier to get lost in the shuffle. So how do you make sure that you stand out in this growing industry?
There are plenty of things to sell online and make money without a huge starting capital. Maybe you have a passion for knitting, creating repurposed clothes, baking pastries, or crafting. You can look around your house and see opportunities. If you’ve been looking for some things to make and sell for a profit, look no further.
We’re here to share 15 DIY ideas to get you started on your next business venture. When you find something you like, your new eCommerce store is only a few clicks away — just build a Shopify store and bring it to life.
Why should you sell DIY products on Shopify?
- You can set up your store in a few minutes and start selling in no time.
- You can sell just about anything that you make yourself, from jewelry to clothes to home decor.
- You can sell from anywhere in the world, as long as there’s an internet connection!
- Selling 24/7 is easy because of Shopify’s helpful features like inventory management and automated emails that alert customers when their orders are shipped (and more).
- Customers will find it easy to find you on websites like Google, Facebook, and Pinterest when they search for products that are similar to yours.
Shopify Store: Damselfly
You can start your own candle business by making a variety of candles, including soy candles and pillar candles. This is a great project if you’re looking to make money while you sleep!
Soy candles are made using a soybean wax blend that includes paraffin oil and other ingredients. Soy candles burn longer than regular candle wax, are non-toxic, and don’t emit harmful chemicals into the air. They also come in many different scents and colors, so you can customize them for any occasion or holiday—a great way to stand out against your competitors!
Pillar candles are commercial-grade candles used for decorative purposes. While they may not be as profitable as their smaller counterparts, they're still a great product to sell on Shopify because customers will be more likely to buy them if they're already familiar with them from other stores (like Target). You could even set up an Amazon FBA account for bulk purchases of pillar candles so that all you have left after shipping costs is profit!
Soap is one of the most popular products to make and sell on Shopify. It's also one that people love to buy. This means that if you're making soaps, your business will be more likely to succeed—and get off the ground quickly—than if you were selling something else.
There are many reasons why soap is such a good choice for your new shop:
- People buy it all year round (as opposed to seasonal goods like Christmas sweaters or Valentine's Day chocolates).
- You can customize it in countless ways by adding different colors or scents.
- It's easy for customers to share their feelings about your product on social media.
- Floral Bouquets
Shopify Store: The Million Roses
Floral bouquets are great for decorating your home, and they can also be used to make flower arrangements to sell. If you're interested in trying this out as a side business, here's what you need to know:
- You'll need flowers or other greenery that look good together and will last through shipping (and look good) when they arrive at the customer's house.
- Get yourself some paper tubes and foam sheets so that you can create sturdy foam frames for each bouquet of flowers (they should all fit inside the tube).
- Buy floral tape online or at your local craft store—this will help keep everything together once it's packaged up!
- Party Decorations
Decorating for parties is a great way to make money, and it's also a great creative outlet. With the right supplies, you can make any number of decorative items that will add some fun to your festivities.
Decorations should always reflect the theme of your party. For example, if you're having a Halloween party, you might consider making jack-o'-lanterns or witches' hats out of clay. If it's Christmas time, maybe your decorations could include snowflakes or other winter-themed shapes like snowmen or candy canes. And even though they aren't technically "decorations" per se—but rather food items—it would be remiss not to mention that sugar cookies are one excellent way to impress guests at any event!
The key here is appropriateness. When planning what sort of table decorations or centerpieces you want at an event such as yours (assuming that your goal here was indeed profit), be sure not to pick anything too juvenile for all ages (such as foam finger puppets) or vice versa (no unicorn poop). It won't hurt if there's some overlap between different age groups here; just don't go overboard so much so that nothing fits anyone else's interests!
- Crochet Blankets, Towels & Scarves
Crochet blankets, towels, and scarves are popular items that you can make yourself. If you're looking to get into the arts and crafts market but don't know where to start, this might be a good option for you. Crochet is actually super easy if you can follow instructions and can be learned in just a few days!
There's no doubt about it: people will buy these products because they're cute, cozy, functional, and cheap (you'll have to sell them for at least $10 each). Just make sure your crochet skills are up to par so that buyers don't feel ripped off when they receive their products.
- Glassware and pottery
Glassware and pottery are great products to make yourself, not only because you can sell them in your store on Shopify, but also because they're extremely versatile.
Glassware is a simple way to refresh the look of your home or apartment. You can choose from beautiful glasses for wine, water, and champagne; mugs for hot beverages (coffee, tea, hot chocolate); vases for displaying flowers; candle holders for accenting tablescapes; plates for serving snacks at parties—the possibilities are endless!
Pottery is an even better option if you know how to create it yourself. And we’re not just talking about boring pots and vases here, you can make beautiful and unique planters, plates, jewelry holders and more. It’s all up to how creative you can get. Pottery pieces can be personalized with names or initials and will last longer than glass pieces since they aren't breakable like glass vessels.
For those who have never heard of or seen a terrarium, it's basically just a little glass bottle with plants and dirt. You can make them yourself by choosing your favorite plants and putting them in water, then placing them in small vases on top of each other.
You can make different types of terrariums depending on what you like: some people prefer to use succulents because they're easy to care for, but others might prefer to include common houseplants like ferns or geraniums. If you want to get more creative, there are many ways that you can create unique products, such as adding moss or decorative rocks into the mix!
- Dog Treats
Dog treats are a great way to make some extra money if you’re looking to get started with your first Shopify store. Dog treats are also super easy to make, which means you can focus on the business and not worry about the actual production of the product. There are many types of dog treats that you can sell, including:
- Biscuits: These are probably the most popular type of dog treat, but they may be harder than other options as there is plenty of competition in this space. However, if you have a unique brand, then it could be worth testing out! Some popular recipes include liver biscuit cookies and peanut butter biscuit cookies.
- Bones: If your dog has been begging for something more exciting than just regular old biscuits, then consider selling some bones! While these aren’t as simple as making biscuits because they require more processing, dogs love them, so there are still plenty of opportunities here if done right.
- Popsicles: Popsicles are the perfect way to cool yourself in the heat of the summer. However, did you know that dogs also enjoy frozen treats? In fact, a few online stores have begun selling dog "pupsicles" and dog ice cream in the last year. You can play around with the shapes and designs, but keep an eye on the ingredients and make sure they're safe for our pets.
- Tote bags
Tote bags are one of the most popular products to sell online. They’re functional, they’re expressive, and they last a long time, so they’re also quite sustainable.
- You can make them from canvas, denim, cotton, burlap, or jute.
- Choose fabrics and colors that are popular at the moment. Check out Pinterest or Instagram for inspiration!
- Customize your totes by adding embroidery or patches. This will help you stand out from competitors who sell generic tote bags and give customers something they won't be able to find anywhere else.
- Give them away as gifts or promotional items. Tote bags have the advantage of being useful, so people will use them and spread awareness about your brand through their daily routine (at least until they throw them away).
- Planters and vases
Pottery, planters, and vases are popular items on Etsy, with a large market of customers who are willing to pay more for handmade products. To be successful with this product category, you'll need to think about your marketing strategy from the get-go.
You can find products on Alibaba that will work well for selling pots and planters online. They're relatively cheap (around $4 per piece) and can be purchased in bulk if you want to stock up on inventory for later sales. You can also make them yourself using clay or concrete molds if you have access to those materials (or if you're willing to purchase them). Packaging these items securely is important because they're fragile during shipping and handling; bubble wrap works well for this purpose as long as it's tightly wrapped around each piece so it doesn't slide around inside the box while traveling through rough terrain like trucks, planes, or ships!
Jewelry making is a great way to make money on Shopify for beginners. It can be learned and it is always in demand.
The best part about selling your own jewelry is that you can make custom pieces with whatever materials you want, so there's no shortage of creative options. You can also set your own prices and find ways to stand out from your competition by adding small touches like custom packaging or special care instructions.
- Beauty Products
If you’re into the idea of making your own beauty products and selling them, there are plenty of ways to do so. Body scrubs and lotions have been popular for a while now, but one great product to create is body butter. This delicious-smelling blend of oils that moisturizes the skin can be used as a replacement for lotion or even as an added layer in addition to lotion.
Pair your homemade body butter with some other easy beauty products like lip balm and you will have a winning combination!
Another amazing product you can sell with ingredients you can find around your house are lip balms. It's not too expensive to make, especially considering that most of the ingredients can be found in your kitchen cupboard. Lip balm can easily be customized with different scents or flavors, allowing you to appeal to a wide range of customers. Since a lip balm is small and its ingredients are relatively inexpensive, it's also easy to store in any space!
T-shirts are a great way to start making your own merchandise and selling it on the Shopify platform. You may already have a design in mind, or you can create one from scratch using software like Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop.
If you’re looking for inspiration, many online resources offer free or cheap templates for designing t-shirts. If you want something more complex than just printing text on an existing design, there are also plenty of shops out there offering custom designs by experienced designers—and they usually do it at quite reasonable prices!
One thing to remember when creating your own t-shirt is that while they’re great conversation starters and can help build brand awareness, they can also be a nightmare if they don’t fit well or look good on people. Make sure you try on every part of the shirt before producing them en masse so as not to waste time or money producing something no one wants!
Rag rugs are made from old clothes, blankets, or other fabric scraps that have been inexpertly sewn together to create a patchwork design. Rag rugs are also incredibly popular in country homes and on the farm because they're often used to cover up dirt floors or keep them clean when used as entrance matting. A rag rug is one of the easiest DIY projects you can do yourself with just a sewing machine, some string, and scissors!
If you don't have any spare fabric lying around, then you can always search for cheap rag rugs online or at second-hand stores. If you're looking for something more modern, then why not try making your own out of denim jeans?
- Bag charms
Bag charms are a fun and easy way to add a personal touch to your everyday bag. They can be made out of anything you have lying around, from buttons, beads, and ribbons to old jewelry or other trinkets. Just put them on anything with a hole in it—a belt loop or even a keychain—and voila! You've got yourself an accessory that will make everyone smile.
Why do people like bag charms so much? Because they're cute, customizable, and inexpensive (or free if you use recycled materials). Since they're small enough not to get in the way of everyday use yet big enough for people to see them when you wear them at school or work, these little accessories are perfect for making yourself feel special every day of the week without spending much money at all.
Making these things and selling them on Shopify is a great way to make money.
There are a few things you need to keep in mind when selling your own products:
- You're going to have to get the word out about your product, whether that means making it yourself and selling it on Shopify, or buying someone else's product and reselling it for a profit. If you're going to go the DIY route, here are some tips for getting started:
- Find the right price point for your products based on how much time it'll take you (and what materials cost) versus how much people are willing to pay for them. This is known as "marginal utility," which just means that people will buy more if they can get something better than what they usually buy or use every day. But since this also applies when buying something for yourself—like buying a new iPhone XS instead of an older model because it has better features—it's important to look not just at how much stuff costs but also how much value those features add up over time.
Ready to make your store? Make your Shopify website with Webinopoly.
With over 400 clients served, Webinopoly is a leading web development agency with an experienced team of designers, developers, and marketers. Webinopoly combines a deep understanding of the eCommerce industry and its latest trends with proven success in building attractive and successful online stores. The agency specializes in designing custom themes for BigCommerce and Shopify, as well as website development, marketing, and SEO.
If you’d like to learn more about what we can do or view our portfolio, please click on the links below: